Friday, June 4, 2010

Labels or Love?

"Year after year, twenty-something women come to New York in search of the two L's: labels and love. Twenty years ago, I was one of them."

I hope to be one of those women by the time I'm twenty-three. Needless to say, Sex and the City is the life (though, less promiscuous) I dream of when I finally get the balls to relocate to NYC and when Carrie Bradshaw said these words in the first movie, tears leapt into my eyes, making me giddy.

I was quite ecstatic to find out what I could about the sequel and I couldn't believe that the day was finally upon me last Thursday. It was finally time to get reacquainted with the girls and see what they had been up to for two years.

It was exciting and refreshing to see the girls as they met in the late 80s and it added to my anticipation. I whispered to my friend, watching Carrie struggle with her luggage in 1986 New York, "Is this going to be me in two years, but with smaller hair?"

The movie was pretty funny, highlights including Samantha thrusting the air, screaming, "Yes, CONDOMS! I HAVE SEX!" and Miranda's enthusiasm about going to Abu Dhabi. The thing that I was anticipating the most was the return of Aidan Shaw, a great love lost on Carrie's part. As someone who doesn't entirely care for Mr. Big, I was hoping Carrie would realize what a horrible mistake she's made and get back together with Aidan, as outrageous as that seems.

The major complaint that I have in terms of that subject matter is that I wish Aidan was in it more. I also agree with the majority of critics to an extent. There's no true blue substance to this movie. It definitely did not need to be as long as it was, that's for sure. There was a point somewhere between Carrie's first encounter with Aidan and her second that my mind started to wander.

It was a pleasing little girls night out film, but it doesn't stand as strong as the first one. I missed being in New York, as beautiful as "Abu Dhabi" (or actually Morocco) was. You can't have Sex and the City, when you can't have Samantha having sex IN the city. Samantha, who I would have choked if she started thrusting the air around me in conservative Abu Dhabi. She's lucky she only got arrested in my opinion.

The character that truly shines is surprisingly Miranda, who I usually detest. She was light and funny, having ultimately quit her job and when she made it to see Brady win the science fair, it made me so happy for her. I'm glad she's getting everything she wants, especially after her major screw-up in the first fillm. It was quite a developmental change for her character.

As for Charlotte and Carrie, well...I felt a little bad for them both. Then my sympathy for Carrie went out the window when she insulted Charlotte, running off to meet her ex-fiance.

Something missing too much from both movies? STANFORD! He's my favorite character and I was so happy to see his nuptials with Anthony, and I know he's not really one of the girls, but a little part of me wishes I could have seen him in Abu Dhabi. Or, you know, seen the development of his relationship with Anthony. That was definitely missing in the first one. Talk about random.

Overall, the movie wasn't awful. Hands down, my favorite outfit of Carrie's was this one:
I just thought that outfit was sheer perfection and I want it. So bad.

I don't slam Sex and the City 2 like most other critics do, but it definitely wasn't on the same bar as the first one, in my opinion. I give it a B-. It is a great girls night out, though, and a ton of fun.

"Labels or Love" by Fergie; 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment