Sunday, July 4, 2010

Ours

"This isn't the time to make hard and fast decisions, this is the time to make mistakes. Take the wrong train and get stuck somewhere chill. Fall in love - a lot. Major in Philosophy because there's no way to make a career out of that. Change your mind. Then change it again, because nothing is permanent."

I realize that in my previous rant, I never actually REVIEWED Eclipse. So, Bella and Edward aside, I actually liked this movie and it makes me wish that "The Twilight Saga" was only a trilogy, so that it would end on a high note.

I think that this was the best acted, funniest, most action packed Twilight film so far. I think it did lack the immediacy that the original had, but it didn't make it less exciting, though it would've added to the action. I never really felt the rush to train and the impending terror from the newborn army. They were just kinda there.

I missed Rachelle Lefevre as Victoria, a lot, but Bryce Dallas Howard wasn't as horrendous as I thought she would be, frankly. Xavier Samuel kind of stole the movie as Riley. He was GREAT. Billy Burke also made this movie. This was by far his best performance and I found myself becoming more Team Charlie than Edward or Jacob.

That being said, as an adaptation, I thought the movie kind of fell flat. Eclipse was my favorite book and it made me laugh and cry. I didn't feel Jacob's pain of being in love with someone in love with someone else nearly as much as I did in the book. My heart didn't break like it did in the book and that was disappointing.

Yet, as a standalone, I thought the writing was really stepped up. I LOVED Jessica's valedictorian speech. Some parts were still melodramatic (Edward saying "my reason for existing" instead of "the girl I love" for example), but it was toned down considerably between New Moon and Eclipse.

Eclipse, in my opinion, earns a solid B. Let's be real, none of these movies are going to win an Oscar any time soon. They're fun, fluffy little films and the sooner people realize it, the less scary Twi-hards will be. I wish that Summit had the same faith in Twilight fans that Warner Brothers has in Harry Potter fans. I would have waited until Deathly Hallows was over for Eclipse and I feel that the rush to get it out is why I'm so neutral about the film adaptation of my favorite book in the series.

As an aside, Taylor Lautner is filming in Pittsburgh. He surprised Eclipse viewers at the Waterfront theater. I wasn't there. I want to die. If he leaves Pittsburgh and I don't manage to get a glimpse of him...I will die.

"Ours" by The Bravery; 2010

2 comments:

  1. I want to live vicariously through you and go see Taylor Lautner! I hope you manage to see him :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlie is ALWAYS my favorite part of the movies. Along with the "humans" (minus Bella, even though I really do like Kristen Stewart). I didn't hate BDH either, but I know some who had major problems with her. The one problem I had with Xavier was how he was always showing his teeth. "I'M GOING TO END THE CULLEN CLAN." haha <3

    ReplyDelete